Navigating International School Teaching Opportunities
Insights from Experts at International School Services (ISS), Association for the Advancement of International Education (AAIE), and Moreland University
Moreland University’s recent webinar, “Unlocking Teaching Opportunities at International Schools: Success Strategies for Educators,” brought together educators from around the world to gain insights into the landscape of international school hiring. The event aimed to equip participants with knowledge and strategies to excel in the international school job market. Let’s recap the key takeaways from the webinar and delve deeper into the strategies that can help educators secure positions at prestigious international schools.
Understanding the International School Landscape: Key Takeaways from the Webinar
The webinar featured representatives from two prominent international school organizations that partner with Moreland University to support international teachers in more than 165 countries: ISS and AAIE
International School Services (ISS): International School Services (ISS) provides comprehensive, student-centered services to schools and educators, reflecting best practices and fostering global collaboration. With over 60 years of experience, ISS excels in areas ranging from developing and managing world-class international schools to staffing, accounting, and supporting innovative teaching and learning methodologies. Their dedication to creating a global community aligns with Moreland University’s mission to empower educators for international success.
Association for the Advancement of International Education (AAIE):The Association for the Advancement of International Education (AAIE) promotes exceptional leadership and research-based educational practices within international schools worldwide. Since its incorporation in 1966, AAIE has been dedicated to advancing international education and nurturing cultural understanding. With a focus on fostering visionary leadership and sharing innovative ideas, AAIE’s mission resonates with the values of Moreland University in preparing educators for the global classroom.
Participants gained firsthand knowledge from experts deeply rooted in the international education sector. The following steps you can immediately take to enhance your international teaching job search come directly from our partners at ISS and AAIE.
- Set Up an E-Portfolio and Profile with Organizations like ISS: Start your journey by building a strong online presence. Create an e-portfolio showcasing your qualifications, teaching philosophy, and accomplishments. Platforms like ISS can connect you with international schools actively seeking educators.
- Research the Schools You’re Interested In: Thoroughly research potential schools to understand their values, mission, and academic programs. Tailor your applications to demonstrate how you align with their vision and can contribute to their educational community.
- Be Active on Social Media: Engage actively on social media platforms, and don’t forget to check out schools’ social accounts. Networking plays a vital role in the international education field. Make connections, join relevant groups, and contribute to discussions!
- Connect to Schools’ Values and Mission: When crafting your applications and preparing for interviews, highlight how your teaching approach and values align with those of the schools you’re applying to. Showcase how you can contribute to their mission.
- Focus on Your Top Schools: Rather than spreading your efforts thinly, concentrate on a select number of schools that genuinely resonate with you. Tailor your applications to these schools, demonstrating a deep understanding of their culture and educational goals.
- Embrace Your Authentic Self: Authenticity shines in the international school hiring process. Embrace your unique qualities and experiences, as schools appreciate candidates who can bring diverse perspectives to their classrooms.
- Practice Interviewing and Utilize Job Fairs: Hone your interviewing skills and practice common questions in preparation for both physical and online job fairs. These events provide opportunities to connect directly with school representatives and explore various openings.
- Invest in Professional Development: Stay current with relevant training and certifications through trusted organizations. This not only enhances your qualifications but also showcases your commitment to ongoing growth as an educator.
- Attend Conferences for Networking and Learning: Participate in educational conferences when possible. These events offer a platform to network with peers, gain insights from industry leaders, and stay informed about educational trends.
- Cultivate Relationships: Maintain connections you’ve made throughout your career journey. Former colleagues, mentors, and fellow educators can provide valuable guidance, support, and even potential job referrals.
Empowering Educators Worldwide: How Moreland University’s Approach Makes a Difference
At Moreland University, we’re committed to empowering educators worldwide through our innovative online programs. Our approach, built on a collaborative online learning platform, focuses on providing a virtual yet immersive learning experience. The program’s early field experiences, clinical practice, and expert-led instruction enable candidates to become well-rounded educators ready to excel in international school environments.
As participants of the webinar learned, the path to a fulfilling career in international education is a journey that combines subject expertise, passion for teaching, cultural adaptability, and ongoing professional growth. Moreland University continues to equip educators with the skills and insights needed to succeed in a global classroom. If you’re looking to make your mark in international schools, the innovative programs at Moreland University are your steppingstone to success.
Apply now for our TEACH-NOW online teacher preparation certificate program or master’s degree in education!
Joseph A. Pearson, M.S.Ed.
Professional Development Specialist