Frequently Asked Questions

Question: Is this a REAL teaching certificate?


Successful completion of our program leads to licensure exam eligibility, meaning that you can obtain a REAL teaching certificate, issued by one of three states in the US (read below).

To be clear, only government entities have the legitimacy to grant a teaching certificate (license, qualification) directly. Every state reviews its own certification applications, according to its own requirements.

Moreland University’s TEACH-NOW Teacher Preparation Certificate Program is a state-approved, accredited teacher preparation program in the District of Columbia, Arizona, and West Virginia. As such, candidates who successfully complete our program are qualified to apply for a fully-renewable teaching license (credential, certification, qualification) from one of those three states, provided they meet the applicable requirements of the state board of education. Additionally, through reciprocity agreements, they may be eligible to obtain fully-renewable teaching certificates or licenses from most other states, provided they meet the applicable licensing requirements of those states.

To recap: in the United States, whoever desires a teaching credential (license, certificate, qualification) must first successfully complete an approved teacher preparation program in a given state, then apply directly to that state and meet all its requirements (normally including examinations), in order to be awarded the legitimate, recognized teaching credential.

Question: Where can I find information about your accrediting and/or approval bodies?


You can find this information, including agency contact details, through the links provided on our About Moreland University page or in our Course Catalog & Candidate Handbook.

Question: Do I need anything to get started?


You’ll need a Bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 GPA or its equivalent. Admissions requirements include:

  • Bachelor’s degree from a U.S. institution
  • Transcript evaluation is your Bachelor’s degree is from an institution outside of the U.S.
  • 3.0 GPA or higher, or equivalent experience
  • English language proficiency
  • Additional requirements may apply depending on your area of certification

Visit our Admissions Page to review all our Admissions Requirements, or sign up for a regularly-scheduled information session, also from our Admissions Page.

Question: What are the technology requirements for effective participation?


To participate effectively in our online programs, you will require a high-speed internet connection (more than 10 Mbps download at; a webcam; a microphone; and a headset or speakers.

Question: I don’t have a minimum GPA of 3.0. What are my options?


In lieu of a 3.0 undergraduate GPA, under our Exceptions Policy, applicants may qualify for acceptance through proven work experience. Please contact us for any further questions or clarifications.

Question: Can I continue working full-time while going through the program?


  • The workload varies, but averages out to approximately 15 hours a week once candidates become familiar with our learning-to-teach model.
  • The first six months of Moreland University’s TEACH-NOW Teacher Preparation Certificate Program are almost exclusively online, and meeting times are scheduled by each cohort according to the group’s availability (typically outside of business hours).
  • The last three months of the program require 12 weeks of practice teaching in a classroom with a supervising mentor teacher.
  • For candidates already in the classroom, this requirement can typically be met through their current teaching assignment.

Question: How much does it cost?


We offer affordable tuition for candidates seeking to complete our teacher preparation certificate program or a Master’s in Education degree.

TEACH-NOW Teacher Preparation Certificate Program Tuition Rate

  • Full payment of $6,500 (As of January 1, 2023)
  • Non-refundable registration fee of $200 included in this price
  • Payment Plan: 
    • Initial Payment – $900 USD
    • Monthly Payments – $700 USD

Master’s in Education and Master’s in Educational Leadership Programs Tuition Rate

  • Full payment of $14,000 (As of January 1, 2023)
  • Non-refundable registration fee of $200 included in this price
  • Payment Plan: 
    • Initial Payment  – $2000 USD
    • Monthly Payments – $1000 USD

Master’s in Globalization and Education Research Tuition Rate

  • Full payment of $14,500 (As of January 1, 2023)
  • Non-refundable registration fee of $200 included in this price
  • Speak with an admissions representative to learn more about available payment plans.

Speak with an admissions representative to learn more.

If your plans change after you start or you’re unhappy for any reason, please refer to our refund policy for how tuition is charged.

Question: Do you offer scholarships or financial aid?


We do not offer financial aid at this time, as we believe that we have created an affordable program. We do, however, offer an interest-free payment plan.

We occasionally offer scholarships throughout the year for designated needs. Stay updated on upcoming scholarships by completing a Request for Information.

Question: Do I have to pass any tests in order to get certified?


In short, yes.

In the case of licensure, the District of Columbia (DC) functions just like a state. DC requires license applicants to take the PRAXIS tests (click here for state specific PRAXIS requirements). Arizona has its own certification tests, which are administered by NES/Pearson (click here to learn more about AZ).

It is important that you check what additional or specific requirements your state may have. Examples of additional requirements a state may have could be taking subject-specific exams, or completing courses in a state’s history and culture. You can find out the requirements for the state you wish to get a license in by visiting the teaching licensing page of that state’s department of education or professional teaching standards board. A good starting point for the website listings of all state departments of education can be found here.

If you will be seeking reciprocity in other states, you may need to take additional (or other) standardized tests. We are happy to help you figure out any specific requirements for your desired teaching location.

Question: Are there any breaks or holidays during the program?


As an international program, and in the spirit of celebrating diversity, no holidays are universally observed. Each cohort and the instructor make decisions about holidays. There are no penalties for holidays; however, arrangements must be made with the instructor and cohort in advance to cover all group and individual activities, as well as to make up virtual class(es).

There is one program-wide break, winter break, the last two weeks of December. Also, due to the timing of clinical practice and school calendars, some cohorts will have summer breaks.

Question: After I complete the program, will I be able to teach in any state?


Each state has its own requirements for granting teaching licenses (certification) through its own state Department of Education. In addition, those requirements change regularly, and could be different on the day you complete the program compared with the day on which you applied. Almost every state is relatively easy for us to work with. As of summer 2019, unfortunately, we have been experiencing difficulty with New York, Colorado, and Iowa, so we ask that you speak with our Admissions Counselors about those states.

Candidates can find this information by searching for the specific state Department of Education, then looking for their reciprocity guidelines.

Moreland University will always assist candidates throughout the licensure process.

Question: Can I take this program while abroad?


Moreland University has many current candidates living and working abroad. As long as you have access to a computer with internet access and a webcam, you can complete our programs.

Even students without US citizenship can complete the program and obtain a teaching license!

Question: Do you have a Course Catalog & Candidate Handbook for review?


Of course! Our admissions team will be happy to share a copy of the handbook with you.

Question: Where can I find your Complaint Review Process?


You can find this process in our Course Catalog & Candidate Handbook.

Question: Where can I find your Complaint Review Process for Maryland residents?


You can find this process in our Course Catalogue & Handbook.

Question: Can I REALLY learn how to teach from an online course?


Yes, absolutely! In fact, Dr Molly Cummings Carney, in her PhD dissertation while at Boston College, completed a comprehensive review of (what was then known as) TEACH-NOW as a modern method of teacher preparation, and the results are very clear that it’s dramatically more effective than traditional methods of preparation. You can read our summary of her work on our blog, with a link to the full dissertation.

Question: Do you offer Professional Development courses? Do they count toward my license renewal?


We offer professional development for schools and districts. Please contact to learn more about bringing professional development to your school.

Question: Do you offer accommodations for students with an evidenced disability or need?


Moreland University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended, and all applicable state or local law. Consistent with those requirements, Moreland University will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability if such accommodation would allow the individual to perform the essential functions of the job or participate in the educational program, unless doing so would create an undue hardship or fundamentally alter the nature of the educational program.

Question: Does Moreland University accept transfer credits?


Moreland University does not accept transfer credits.

If a candidate wishes to transfer to another institution, it is up to the receiving institution to determine if the credits earned at Moreland University will be accepted. Moreland University makes no representations about the transferability of credits earned in a program offered by Moreland University.

woman taking an online teacher preparation program

Join Moreland University

No more waiting for an admission decision. We offer rolling admission, which means you can submit your application to Moreland University at any time. Learn more about our admissions process.

Connect with us to learn more about our programs and how Moreland fits your career goals.